The Male Breast is the enlarged breast of man which is also called as gynaecomastia in scientific term.
Male Breast Synonym
We have heard of people calling by various names:
- “male boobs” or
- “man boobs”, or
- a Him having a Woman breast.
It is mostly a benign issue that the patient need not have to worry too much. The problem here is mostly due to psychological pressure and for cosmetic reason that patient are seeking for help and treatment.
1. Many male get it during puberty. Some boy get it during adulthood. This is caused by natural changes in hormone profile in the boy. The estrogen which is a “female hormone” that men also have, has a higher ratio or proportion in relative to the male hormone, testosterone.
2. Anabolic steroid abuse is one of a common problem nowadays seen in the fitness and body builder center.
3. Middle-aged and older men can also have gynaecomastia. This is due to aging. During the aging process, there is a hormonal shifts of increased estrogen having relative increase over the testosterone.
Causes of Male Breast
- Many male gets Male Breast during puberty. Some boy get it during adulthood. This is caused by natural changes in the hormone profile in the boy. The oestrogen which is a “female hormone” that men also have, has a higher ratio or proportion in relative to the male hormone, testosterone.
- Anabolic steroid abuse is one of a common problem nowadays seen in the fitness and body builder centre causing enlargement of Male Breast.
- Middle-aged and older men can also have Male Breast/ gynaecomastia. This is due to ageing. During the aging process, there is a hormonal shifts of oestrogen having relative increase over the testosterone.
- Many newborn babies have short-term Male Breast/ gynecomastia as well. This is because some of their mothers’ oestrogen crossed the placenta into the baby’s blood and stays in their blood for a while after birth. This condition is reversible after the oestrogen level disappears, usually in a couple of months.
- Some medications can cause Male Breast/gynaecomastia, including:
- Anti-anxiety medicines
- AIDS treatment medications
- Tricyclic antidepressants
- Chemotherapy drugs
- Heart disease medicines
- Drugs that treat heartburn, that is gastric problems
- Marijuana and drugs like heroin, amphetamines,
- Steroids medication or abuse of anabolic steroid can cause it.
- So can drinking too much alcohol.
- Many herbs and herb derived products which contain tea tree oil or lavender oil can also increase the male breast size. It is easy to understand why this is the case. This is because they have natural oestrogen, called phytoestrogen, or plant derived oestrogen, that can upset your body’s normal hormone levels. There is a relative oestrogen dominance over the male hormone, testosterone.
- Sometimes it can happens because of existence of another medical health problem. This can includes the like of an overactive thyroid, kidney disease, or a tumour on one of the thyroid glands that controls your hormones.
Symptoms and Signs:
-Men with gynecomastia have a firm, rubbery mass underneath the nipple area.
-It’s usually less than an inch and a half across
-and may be tender over the breast area.
-Sometimes there aren’t other symptoms.
-You may notice some fluid discharge from the nipple.
-It can affect one breast or both.
Symptoms and Signs of Male Breast
- Men with Male Breast/gynecomastia have a firm, rubbery mass underneath the nipple area.
- It’s usually less than an inch and a half across
- and may be tender over the breast area.
- Sometimes there aren’t other symptoms.
- You may notice some fluid discharge from the nipple.
- It can affect one breast or both.
How to Diagnosis Male Breast
The cause of Male Breast/gynecomastia is not always clear.
It is a better idea to check with your family doctor or an endocrinologist, a doctor who specializes in hormone imbalances.
During your appointment he may ask you the following:
- How old were you when you first noticed a change in your breast size, nipple or areola size?
- Have you noticed a difference in your nipple size or areola size?
- Have you had any discharge from the nipple or pain over the breast?
- How’s your overall health, any other diseases?
- Does the condition run in your family?
- Are you on any medications?
- Do you drink alcohol, use drugs, or have you had infertility problems?
Treatment of Male Breast
Male breast reduction surgery
The best is still by surgical means. Dr David Ling who has 25 years of experience in aesthetic clinic, Clinic Laser and Cosmetic Surgery Ling, can suggest to use minimally invasive procedure to remove the rubbery nodular gland tissue.
Resources for other breast related problems
The best is still by surgical means. Dr David Ling aesthetic clinic, Clinic Laser and Cosmetic Surgery Ling, can use minimally invasive procedure to lift the areolar and glandular complex to a higher position on the upper chest wall.
Breast augmentation using implant can be deployed to replace back the lost volume of the beast and brings about lifting and firming for small breast to medium-sized breast.
For larger or big breast, big areola and big nipple, reshaping the breast through volume redistribution can help. These includes: areola reduction surgery and nipple reduction surgery.
Another website also has the writeup on this and other topics on aesthetic: DrDavidLing.com