Deep chemical peel
For the deep chemical peel procedure, the cases that are suitable (Peel benefits from deep chemical peel) for deep chemical peel includes
- deep wrinkles,
- sun damaged skin,
- pigment disorder and
- blotchy skin,
- scar and
- unusual conditions like the pre-cancerous growth may also be treated by Dr David Ling (and DrDavidLing.com) and his clinic.
The chemical that is suitable for deep peel is phenol which has an active ingredient Croton oil. The phenol can penetrate right down to the depth of the lower dermal layer. This peel is painful and a local anesthetic (Check how to do chemical peel) cream application is helpful, and a must. The use of sedative may be given to allay the anxiety.
For sure a deep peel benefit is it brings abut blemish removal to create a fairer snow-white, silky smooth skin.
Sometimes we can also use a TCA or trichloroacetic acid which is of high concentration may be used.
Deep Chemical Peel for Scar & Pigment
Before performing the deep chemical peel, the patient need to be primed and properly prepared. For up to around 8 weeks, the patient is given retinoic acid cream or gel.
- This is a prescription cream, the active ingredient is a derivative of vitamin A.
- The pre-treatment will help to prepare the skin for the peel and helps to speed up the healing process.
- The preparation helps to thin out the skin surface.
- In this way, the subsequent peel agent can penetrate more easily and more evenly.
Deep chemical peel protocol
- Preparation treatment with retinoic acid cream for 2 months
- Pre-medication and treatment for 8 week prior to the peel, anti viral with Acyclovir.
- Use local aesthetic cream of 10% for pain relief
- Give a mild sedative, and oral analgesic
- Cleanse the face. Remove all make up.
- Brush the phenol over the face for the desired time period
- After the stinging sensation is felt which is the signal for the end point of treatment, apply the water to neutralise the phenol
- do a short cold compress to sooth the skin if necessary
- apply antibiotic cream
- Now spread and apply a thick layer of ointment over the face to prevent dehydration and to sooth the pain. The ointment may slip off easily as it is applied quite thickly. Use transparent sticker sheet or a sticking tape or use a dressing to make it stay in place. Apply regularly if it drip off.
- complete the course of antibiotic
- take oral pain killer as per requirement
The deep chemical peel carries a lot of risk if not properly taken care of. When properly looks into, the risk can be easily minimized
- The phenol can lighten the skin for a long time. The lightened skin must be taken care of.
- Do not expose to sun. Apply sunscreen SPF 25 and above, faithfully at all time when you need to venture outdoor.
- Always stay away from direct sunlight by using an umbrella, or under the shade. The skin has loses the ability to make pigment. And it will not tan even if exposed to sun.
- Remember that phenol can and may pose a particular risk to a heart patient. Be sure that there is no history of heart diseases.
This treatment is only performed once. No repeat is necessary.
Time your treatment properly so that you can have sufficient and adequate time to do the necessary. Time it to your job and any upcoming event that you need to attend to. Be prepared to factor in if the recovery time may be longer.
- The initial healing takes 2 to 3 weeks. So you may take off from work for about 2 weeks before assuming duty again.
- By end of 2 weeks you can start to apply make up to conceal the treatment.
- Moreover, this peel can bring about
- erythema or redness and
- discomfort for many days.
- During the post treatment period, one may require pain killer.
- There will be swelling which may take 2 weeks before it can totally subside.
- The redness may remain for as much as up to 3 months or more.
- Following the erythema, there may be a period of hyper pigmentation, PIH.
- Regular followup and counselling may be required